Deprived of new cars since 1942 (WW2), buyers wanted comfortable, durable family cars and found them at Chrysler showrooms. The Chrysler Corporation introduced its postwar models in late 1945 and built them largely unchanged until early 1949. These cars were enormously successful at the time and today each make has a following devoted entirely or partially to it and owners are willing to maintain their cars.
The D25 was a Plymouth P15 with a Dodge front end and nameplate. These cars were exported from both USA and countries across the world as completed vehicles or kits for foreign assembly into Left or Right Hand Drive cars.
This particular Right Hand Drive D25 De Luxe was supplied by Frank Dale in the United Kingdom, evidenced by a typewritten letter from Frank Dale to Sir David Tang in April 1991. The car was later imported and registered in Hong Kong in December 1991 by The China Club Ltd and was featured at the opening of the first Shanghai Tang shop on Pedder Street.
Sir David Wing-cheung Tang (Chinese: 鄧永鏘), grandson of Sir Shiu-Kin Tang (鄧肇堅) is a Hong Kong businessman, philanthropist and socialite who died in 2017. He was best known for founding the Shanghai Tang fashion chain, China Club, Pacific Cigars, China Tang, and TangTangTangTang. He has been director and advisor to Blackstone, Tommy Hilfiger, the Savoy Group of Hotels, British Airways and Versace. He has also been honoured by the French Government as "Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres". In London, he is a Trustee of the Royal Academy of Arts, Chairman of the Tate’s Asia-Pacific Acquisitions Committee, President of the London Bach Society and Adviser to the London Symphony Orchestra and Carnegie Hall.
After Sir David passed away in mid 2017, this Blue D25 Sedan was sold by Classic Insider in December 2017 and changed hand to a private collector. The car was subjected to a complete engine and interior overhaul. An Air Conditioning system was installed along with major engine cooling upgrade.
A rare opportunity to own and collect a postwar American car with special provenance in Hong Kong.
Year: 1948 (Manufactured) 1951 Shown on Registration
Body: 4 Doors Sedan (with suicide doors)
Driver's Side: RHD
Transmission: 3 Speed Column Shifting Manual
Indicated Mileage: (Indicated)
Location: Hong Kong
Registration: Hong Kong Registered
This motor car: This Right Hand Drive Blue D25 De Luxe Sedan started life in the United Kingdom. It was imported into Hong Kong by Sir David Tang in 1991 and owned by The China Club. It was featured in the opening of the first Shanghai Tang store on Pedder Street. After changing hands in 2017, an overhaul was commissioned and significant money spent on engine and interior work. 1 previous owner noted on the Hong Kong Registration. This perfect running car is extremely drivable in the city as it has a reliable engine, power steering and most importantly, a very effective Air Condition system. "EX435" License mark assigned on the car by Sir David included with sale.
Restored Original. Well-kept and consistently maintained. Original engine and transmission. The Blue paint looks ok but do show some blemishes and requires detailing to bring out the shine. Chrome has a bit of tarnish but overall looks fine. Wheels are in good condition, unmarked and shod with fresh tires. The Interior is fully restored, all correct and nothing is missing. Seats are nicely re-trimmed, dash, carpets and door cards showing very little signs of wear and tear. Mechanically in fully working condition. Air Condition is excellent.
The only Hong Kong Registered Dodge D25
Good & Original Condition, Hong Kong Registered, ready to drive
Classic Insider condition score: 78 points out of 100
Available Exclusively at Classic Insider. For more info, please contact:
Telephone Or Whatsapp: +852 9013 2536
Click Here to send us a Message
Full Engine out service
Installation of air conditioning system
Upgraded cooling system
** All available Service records available upon request
BACKGROUND AND HISTORY:
The Dodge Brothers machine shop was founded in 1900, they built engines for Olds and Ford. In 1914 they started building their own cars. In 1928, Chrysler acquired Fargo Trucks and Dodge Brothers and also established Plymouth and DeSoto brands. Plymouth was Chryslers lowest priced car, Dodge was next, then Desoto and Chrysler was top of the line. The 1942 Dodge got elongated fenders and a more elaborate full-width grille with an eggcrate center, plus a handsome new symmetrically arranged dashboard with metal wood graining. Little changed from the pre war Dodges right up until 1949, just the grille changed slightly. The 1948 119 in wheelbase D24 Dodge was available in Deluxe or Custom. The Deluxe in 2 door Coupe or 2 and 4 door Sedan. The upmarket Custom got rear wheel skirts, available in 2 door Coupe, 2 door Convertible, 4 door Sedan and Town Sedan. The shorter Dodge D25 built for export in the US and Canada, actually had a Plymouth P15 body and engine, with a Dodge front, the grille more pointed in the centre than the D24 cars and an extra body line below the headlights.
The D25 was sold as the 'Special Deluxe' and power came from a 3.6-litre Flathead six cylinder engine, whereas the D24 had the Chrysler 3,772cc unit. Production continued until the new 1949 models were announced.